Monday, May 24, 2010

practicing what I preach

In trying to get my house ready for company, one of the things that I have MOST dreaded, is cleaning.... Ez and Ashers rooms *duh duh duuunnnnnn* I don't know why, but for some reason my 2 youngest boys don't understand "clean". They see it in every other room in the house. They have to clean their rooms and their bathrooms every day. They have to vacuum and mop every day. But for some reason, it never really gets fully DONE. It will finally get to where I finally say "good enough" but it is never DONE. One of the things that I have told other moms for a LONG time is that kids will do what is expected of them. No more, no less. As much as I say, "they can't do that yet" or... "they aren't old enough yet" or.. "they aren't ready" They will happily sit aside and not do those things. I mean hey... more play time right?  But if you say, this is how you do it, this is what I expect, and this is the consequence if you don't, they will do it! I have found myself guilty of doing to Ezekiel something that I always HATED when my parents did. I had my Ezekiel standard, and my every one else standard. I decided tonight, that enough is enough. I told the boys that I want their room spotless. I mean, under the bed, in the closet, I want it vacuumed even in the corners. Trash taken out, laundry taken down to be washed tomorrow, Like totally and completely CLEAN. I then sent Asher to start and told Ezekiel, you are the older brother. It is up to you to make sure it gets done. If it doesn't, you are the one that will be punished. You are almost 12 years old, you should be able to get a room clean like I expect it to be. Well guess what?? It was DONE totally and completely clean!!! I could see carpet! Even under the bed and in the closet!!! Just proves once more, you expect it... and they will do it!!  YAY for one less thing on my list tomorrow!!!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Yay! Good job boys!